BIO-IDENTICAL HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY
Goal of Therapy
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is implemented to optimize hormone levels in the blood, helping to reduce symptoms associated with low levels of these hormones.
Therapeutic Benefits of Hormone Replacement Therapy
Many individuals have inadequate hormone levels despite technically normal blood tests. Some individuals suffering symptoms related to menopause or andropause or inability to lose weight may also benefit from these therapies. Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy can be used to augment hormone levels in a number of conditions where diminished hormone levels are evident.
- Estrogen therapy can maintain vaginal and urethral function and slow the progression of osteoporosis. It may also improve sleep, decrease pain and perhaps cognitive function, and improve libido and overall well-being. This therapy may contain one or any combinations of the following medications: estriol, estradiol, and/or estrone.
- Progesterone hormone replacement therapy can offer protection from endometrial cancers, treatment of irregular menstruation, and other low progesterone conditions. It also can improve sleep quality and decrease anxiety. For males, low dose progesterone therapy in conjunction with testosterone therapy can maximize the hormone ratios, reducing side effects.
- Testosterone replacement therapy is used to treat symptoms or lab tests suggesting suboptimal hormone levels as determined by your doctor. Low testosterone is associated with elevated cholesterols, Blood Pressure, Diabetes and prostate problems. There are ongoing discussions within the medical community whether treating to optimize testosterone will increase or decrease these problems.
- DHEA is the abbreviated form for a chemical called dehydroepiandrosterone, a hormone produced within the body. DHEA is a hormonal precursor responsible for producing both testosterone and estrogen.
- Nutritional Supplements: May be recommended to optimize nutritional status and augment benefits of your treatment recommendations.